The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Khumjung Day 3 -- Tea and Teaching

Here I am in the prayer room with Phurba!Ama Damblang! Wow!Kongdo Mountain. So white!That's KhumjungIMG_0378This is Mingma's chorten. That's a special kind of remembering place.
Sallery team (red) was my favorite! I watched the championship.The flags were flying all day long!Baby in the basket!This was the underneath of Phurba's mom's house. Animals live in there!Kate going up the steps to the main room.
That's me on top of the water pot!They used this for storing grain in the old days.Handmade table at Phurba's mom's.Look how wide the board are!Phurba and Francis, the publisher of "Clear Sky, Red Earth"Look at all the decoration.
Ceremonial horns in the prayer room.Bowls in the prayer room.Art by Khumjung StudentBy the Khumjung Art TeacherHe made this! Lots of talk about art.
Khumjung Day 3 -- Tea and Teaching, Click for FULL set with captions on Flickr.
May 28
We had a great quiet start to our day, and I was relieved that our Dream Flag celebration was over, even though I liked it a lot. I just went around with Mr. Harlan and Mrs. Crow today, learning about Khumjung. We saw some beautiful things in the morning, and the voleyball championships! I was voting for the red team. The girls in this video were cheering for them too!

Khumjung Early Morning from Dream Flag Project on Vimeo.


All day there were different things on the main stage of the celebration—dancing and all kinds of stuff. Also everybody seemed to like reading our Dream Flags! Here's me watching one of the acts I really liked:
Fun On Stage May 28 from Dream Flag Project on Vimeo.


In the afternoon, we got to go to Phurba Sherpa’s mom’s house for tea. She lives in an old fashioned house pretty much like in Lhakpa Sherpa’s book, Through A Sherpa Window. You can see me next to some gigantic brass pots. They were for keeping water in the winter because all the water outside was frozen solid. (Now the water comes in pipes.) You can also see their prayer room. They actually have special books like in a monastery! I wish I could read them, but they’re in Tibetan.

We also got to meet with some kids from the Khumjung School and their art teacher. Mrs. Crow and Mr. Harlan showed them the books about me that kids at my school made. They really liked them! We got to see some of their art work and talk to them a little too. I know a few Sherpa phrases now (Like “gna-la ga-la sun,” which means “I feel happy.”), but they know WAY more English. They could talk a lot with Mr. Harlan and Mrs. Crow.


Well, that’s about it for the day. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment