The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

About me . . .

Hi. This is Yesshe again. I can’t believe our trip starts just next week! We’re leaving  next week on Thursday, and I can’t wait!
Before we get going, I thought I’d tell you a little about myself. I’m a hand-made doll from the Himalayas. I think it took about four days for someone to make me, and I guess I have lots of detail or they just were really careful making me. I don’t know. I’m just glad I was made and found my way to Mr. Harlan’s  and Mrs. Crow’s classrooms.
My life at school started when Mr. Harlan bought me last summer at a museum store where I was up pretty high waiting on a shelf. He reached up and got me down to have a look at me, and right away decided his students would like me and I should come to Philadelphia with him.
It was a while before I actually met his students, but when I did, they all liked me and I liked them too. They were studying about the Sherpa people who live in Nepal and decided to call me Yesshe, which is a Sherpa name. I like my name. It means “wise one” and I like how it sounds. It’s easy to spell too because it’s like the word Yes + She = Yesshe! And I like to say "Yes." Like, “Yes, I am going to Nepal!”
Besides naming me, Mr. Harlan’s and Mrs. Crow’s students actually wrote a lot of stories, and I  got to be the star! I’m in pretty much all of them I think. (Actually I haven’t heard all of them yet.) I think they learned a lot about the Sherpa to write their stories, so it’s not just me who’s Sherpa. The stories have Sherpa houses in them and Sherpa food, Sherpa animals and all kinds of stuff. Also pictures. I like the pictures best—especially the ones of me (which is a lot).

Click here to read the book!

Here’s one you might like. It’s called The Search For Butter. It’s about me when I get a yak for my birthday, and then something bad happens (but it ends up OK.)
Do you know what a yak is? Well in this story, the yak’s name is Butter. She’s sort of like a cozy cow with little horns and lots of warm fur for the cold winters in Khumjung. That’s where I live in the stories. See what you think about it and let me know.
See you soon! I have to go keep getting ready for the trip. Mr. Harlan’s sorting the Dream Flags, and I’m going to help.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Yesshe,
    It is so nice to meet you! I have enjoyed reading your blog posts in anticipation of your trip to Nepal. I wish you and your companions a safe and exciting journey.
    Ms. Kinder

    ReplyDelete