The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1 of Trekking!

I am a great trekker!I helped pack up in Kathmandu. That's me on the ladder.Loading up our plane. Here we go!Tommy and me on the plane.I could see the cockpit really well.On the plane with Anne.
Made it to Lukla!The plane ride was fun. This was the airport in Lukla.And I could see this from the airport too.In Lukla we had breafast in thier restaurant. They like me a lot.The breakfast place had people my size.Everyone was hungry for breakfast.
They had a great Losar sign at the brekfast place.Here are the porters who help us carry things. (Mr. Harlan carried me.)In Lukla we started our trek.That's me next to Mrs. Crow. She let me hold the pole.Here's me just starting up!Clouds like puffy cotton.
Here come the dzo. I'm stepping off to the side.Here was a field of barley--just like in the book!Looking up at the mountains after lunch.My new friend Tinkerbell! She's travelling just like me.Here's where we ate and I met my new friend.Here's the cozy kitchen where we had lunch.
Day 1 of Trekking!, a set on Flickr.
I’m trekking! Today is the first day, and I love it! This morning we started SO early. It was dark out and the birds hadn’t even started singing yet. I helped us get all packed up in the van—you can see me on the ladder—and then we were off. It was a great plane ride. Like I said before, I like small things, and the plane was nice and small. It was cozy, though, and lots of people held me. There’s even a video of it, and you can see me showing Mrs. Crow some things out the window.


When we landed it was in the middle of the most beautiful mountains I could think of, and I knew this was the place for me. Some people even look kind of like me! First we had breakfast and I made some new friends. They had the same poster for Khumjung as we have in my school! And they had a sign about Losar too, and that’s in some of the stories about me! Trekking means hiking and we stared right away after breakfast. I knew I could hike the whole way, but Mr. Harlan said my outfit was a little too nice so maybe I should ride in his pack. It was bumpy sometimes, but I saw a lot, looking out of my pocket. There were dzo, which is a kind of yak and cow put together, and they help carry things. (They’re in a video too.)



And there was beautiful mountains everywhere. You can see me looking at them when we stopped for lunch. And guess what? At lunch I met another trekking doll!! She's a Tinkerbell doll, and she is travelling with the mom of some kids who live in the Caribbean Islands to help them learn about her trek! You can see me and Tink in the picture by the big prayer wheel. Meeting her was definitely the best part of my lunch!

After a little more walking, we got to our lodge, and I lay down for rest right away. The beds were cozy, and I think I’ll go take a nap when I finish writing this. I’m going to bed early too, cause tomorrow is a BIG day—all the way to Namche!

No comments:

Post a Comment