The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Khumjung Day 1--Start the Celebrations!

The celebration emblem!Early sunHeadmaster Mahendra gives a welcome speach.Welcom all.Mr. Lhakpa Sherpa and Anne Keiser.Here we go!
Phurba Sherpa and freinds.Mr. Harlan watching the opening ceremonies.See me??I loved the lion dance!Line up.Traditional Sherpa men's chhuba.
IMG_0327The parade starts here.These ladies helped everybody with refreshments.Welcoming us!Special clothes for men.Wearing their uniforms.
Me by the potato field.My friend Tommy in the parade!Students in the parade.Yes!Special clothing for the parade. (I always wear special clothing.)Loud! I like loud.
Khumjung Day 1--Start the Celebrations!, Click to see the FULL set wth captions on Flick.

I’m just writing a little on this day to catch up.
First Day in Khumjung

After all that flag sorting, I sure slept well, and guess what? The next morning there were real yaks outside our hotel, just standing around and nibbling little plants. They were so furry, shaggier than any animal I ever saw. Some of their fur was as long as the hair of some girls at my school.

When we were looking at the yaks, we heard music coming from the celebrations area and went down to see what was happening. It was the beginning of the big celebration for the Khumjung School! Mr. Harlan told me that 50 years ago, their school got started by Sir Edmund Hillary and it's going better than ever! After some speeches, there was a big parade with everyone in town—boys and girls from the school, men and women, visitors--everybody. They marched and chanted and some played instruments like cymbals and drums and we all joined in. You can see the pictures and how happy everybody is to celebrate this big birthday for the Khumjung School.

After the parade was over we watched volleyball. Lots of teams had come from other schools, and they were all trying for the championship. Mr. Harlan held me up so I could see over the crowd since there were so many people.

We also got to see some of the school, like the new dining hall and its kitchen. Science rooms too. Their kids study the human body, just like my friends in Pennsylvania! And we saw some Dream Flags that Mrs. Crow sent them two years ago so they could see what Dream Flags are. They were hanging in a gallery along with some beautiful ones with paintings on them that some Khumjung School students made. We also found out that tomorrow was our big day for Dream Flags. So we did a little more getting ready and went to bed early. I was a little nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment