The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

In Nepal at last! We made it!

See these and their captions at Flickr.
Golden Gate at Drubar Square form 1754. Very old.Beds were comfly in India.We made it! Nepal at last.Streets of KhatmanduEverybody was good at sharing the road!Phurba holding me and Mrs. Crow smiling.
I loved this garden.Streets of KhatmanduPeople threshing wheat.Map of Bhaktapur CityDurbar SquareDurbar Square complex
Durbar Square from the 1700's and beforeDurbar SquareTaumadhi SquarePottery Square. I'm about as big as one of these pots.Me with the author of the book! I loved meeting Lhakpa Sherpa.

Well here I am at the end of a LONG day, but we actually made it to Nepal this morning. This is me at dinner with Mr. Lhakpa Norbu Sherpa, the actual author of Through A Sherpa Window, my favorite (and the very best) book about where we're going! AND he told me that he has a big daughter, and can you guess what her name is? YESSHE! For real.. I wish I could meet the big Yesshe. Her dad liked the stories about me.

You can see from these pictures that we did a LOT. In Delhi the beds were very comfy, and I did not want to get up at 4:30 to get our plane to Kathmandu. (But we did get to ride on the cart thingy in the airport and that was fun.) It was so pretty looking out the window at the valley and the big mountains far away when we landed. Then Phurba (our friend who grew up in Khumjung) met us, but there was no resting for us because we had a lot to do. I liked lookiing out the bus window. I wish I could ride on a scooter! It looks fun.


We got to Bhaktapur (Mr. Harlan said it's from the 600’s.) and saw very very beautiful buildings there. They were made so carefully (like me) and I felt just like I belonged there. Mostly Dr. Zopf carried me because I was tired. But I liked it, and the restaurant for lunch had a fountain. Then it was more grown-ups at the dinner. But I forgot the pots back in Bhaktapur . That was one of my favorite parts. They dug up special clay there and make clay pots for everyone. They dry in the sun, and then get baked. I wanted to touch one, but our guide said not a good idea, so I didn't. The best was meeting Mr. Lhakpa Sherpa at dinner, though. He had so many stories to tell and wanted to know all about me.


What's tomorrow? I don't know yet, but I know I'm going to sleep a lot right after I finish writing this.
See you soon and have fun clicking on my pics!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Yesshe,
    The pots were amazing! Was it fun having dinner with all those grown ups? What food did you like at the restaurant and what was it called? Was there any American food there? It would have been cool to meet the big Yesshe!
    Love,
    Mrs. Downey's class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yesshe,
    We noticed a lot of dragons. Can you tell us why they are so important? What was your lunch? Is the food good? Do you think the Golden Gate was real gold? We hope this part of the trip was fun!
    Mr. Flood's class

    ReplyDelete