The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 2 of Trekking--All the Way to Namche

My friend Dhali Sherpa and her son.Can you see where the windows are?Potatoes and barley!I think our porters could carry 2000 of me.See the old doors underneath?This cow was just having breakfast when we came by.
Everything in Namche comes by animal. These ones are carrying rice--like we had for dinner.Mrs. Crow and I got smiles wherever we went!Look, it's me on the back of a dzo.Here I am with my friend Gyaljen. He's our trip leader, and he knows EVERYTHING.Lots and lots of mani.This building is all handmade--just like me.
Now we're actually in Sagamartha (Mt. Everest) park. I like to pick up litter when I can.Here's a map we saw and the entrance to the park.AhhhI loved this building--like its growing out of the rock!Yes, that's one of the bridges.This horse had a special decoration.
This one too. And I love the sound of the bells. They'r so LOW.Lots and lots of horses.This is one of the men leading the horses. They whistle a lot. I'm trying to learn how.My friends the horses crossing the bridge. Here's Namche!


We’re in Namche now! And before this I only read about it in stories about me! It was a long long day, and now I’m a super-trekker, but let me tell you how it started. I had a great sleep, and then in the morning I made friends with Dhali Sherpa and her son. You can see them in the picture here. But we were off for our biggest day of trekking yet—all the way to Namche!

Let me tell you how it started. Leaving our happy lodge, we went across a VERY long bridge that just hangs in mid air. I liked the way it swings when you walk across it, like a gigantic playground swing a little, but MUCH bigger! You can see one in the pictures. Also other ones we did later in the day. We passed lots of farms like yesterday. Mrs. Crow was carrying me on Trek Day 2. She introduced me to so many people and they all wanted to know about me, and my school too.
In the morning we went along the river and it was the fastest I’ve ever seen—even on TV. At dinner in Namche, Lhakpa Sherpa (we met him there again!) told Mr. Harlan nobody’s ever gone down it on a raft even. He said the river’s name is Bhote Khusi (I think.) We saw cows grazing along the trail, and our guide, Gyaljen, told us they just go home at the end of the day all by themselves. I guess I would too if I had a cozy home to go to.

After a while we were just walking along when a man called out to us from a window, “Hello!” He was the nice park man and he checked our tickets because we were going in to Sagamartha National Park. That’s where Mt. Everest is (but I’m not climbing it.) They make sure it stays nice with the tickets and keeping track of how many people and dolls go in. (I don’t know about the dolls, but I did say hi to him so he knew I was there.)

Then after lunch, we started to go up and up. And with LOTS of horses and dzo going up next to us with heavy bags. The grown-ups were huffing and puffing a lot, and I was actually glad that I was being carried by Mrs. Crow. It was hard, but she just kept going. Finally, we reached the top, and the beautiful town of Namche greeted us. It’s like a town that’s wrapped up in the hills around it, with three beautiful goddess mountains looking over it. They seem like three powerful and loving mothers to me.

Like I said before, we got to see Lhakpa Sherpa again at dinner and also another person who made a book about the Sherpa called Gaity of Spirit. I can see why she chose that name. I feel like here, everybody tries to be happy—just like me.

Well, tomorrow it’s Khumjung. I can’t wait to meet the students!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Please tell the students at Khumjung that Mrs. Downey's class says hello!

    ReplyDelete