The Dream Flag Project . . .

The Dream Flag Project is a poetry, art, and community-building project open to any adult-led group of students in K-12. The Agnes Irwin School is the home of The Dream Flag Project.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Flags, Flags, Flags!

Dream Flags, Dream Flags, Dream Flags! I think Mr. Harlan and Mrs. Crow might get buried in all the Dream Flags just like me. Mr. Harlan’s room is covered with them, but we’re working hard to get them organized and ready to fly.
 I can hardly believe that in just six days, all the Dream Flags will be packed up and ready to go along with Mr. Harlan and Mrs. Crow. (I’m packing my sweater that one of Mr. Harlan’s students gave me.) Here’s what we’ll do:
First we’ll take a train from Philadelphia to Newark, New Jersey. Then we’ll get on a plane and fly across the Atlantic Ocean even further to Delhi, India. (Mrs. Crow said I could sit on her tray table and look out the window!) Then we take another plane to Kathmandu, the biggest city in Nepal. Then we get off and rest a little, but I don’t think I’ll be tired. Then we get on what Mr. Harlan says will be a teeny plane to fly up to a small place called Lukla. And I love small things, so I really can’t wait for that part. Then we get out of the plane and walk. (Mr. Harlan said he’d carry me because my legs are not quite as long as his.) And we walk, and walk, and walk—for three days ! -- until we get to the famous Khumjung School for their big birthday party! I’ve never been to a birthday party, but I think I’m going to like it.
At the party, we’ll be bringing Dream Flags from our school and lots of others. Here are some of the places the Dream Flags come from: Louisiana, Hawaii, Washington, Texas, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey.  Also Haiti, Madagascar, Nicaragua, and Belize!  Mrs. Crow told me Belize is south of Mexico, and I sort of know where that is, I think. Mr. Harlan says Madagascar is a very big island that’s part of Africa. They do seem very far away to me. I’ve only been to the store where I was on the shelf and this school so far.
But we have a big job to do sorting out the Dream Flags and getting them ready.  Mr. Harlan and Mrs. Crow put them in piles and label them,  but what I do is dive underneath them to pop up and surprise them—just like in this picture! I also point out the neat ones that I like. Can you see the little person on my shoulder? I like it a lot.
And the one on my left is about kids ending hard things like getting sick. Mrs. Crow told me it was made by kids at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and that sick kids go there to get better. Since I’m a doll, I don’t get sick much (or I haven’t yet), but if I did, I hope they’d take me there. Mrs. Crow says the doctors are very smart and lots of kids get better every day. And she says the Dream Flags help them get better too.
Well, back to work!




P.S. Here's a fun map you can use to see where we're flying. If I stand on the + it get's bigger!
If I jump on this:  View Larger Map I can see a map with the places on it. You try it too! Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment